Advanced Treatments for the Ocular Surface
Complex and severe cases of ocular surface diseases sometimes call for more advanced approaches to manage the delicate tissues of the eye surface. The tears, glands, conjunctiva and corneal surface all have to maintain a delicate balance for the entire system to remain healthy. The eye is an open system with many components all working in synchrony to achieve homeostasis, or balance. Listed below are some additional options your eyeLABS doctor may have discussed with you.
- Biological bandage or amniotic membrane (Prokera® or BioD® )
- Intraductal meibomian gland probing
- Tear duct dilation and irrigation
- Punctal occlusion (temporary or permanent)
- Radiofrequency heat application
Learn more about Prokera® with this video: